La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

baja ferries info and TIP info

3 posters

Go down

baja ferries info and TIP info Empty Re: baja ferries info and TIP info

Post by dean Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:11 am

this article also has prices but on the page itself in a photo.

https://www.debate.com.mx/sinaloa/losmochis/Cuanto-cuesta-viajar-a-La-Paz-desde-Topolobampo-Estas-son-las-tarifas-del-buque-Baja-Ferries-20230805-0071.html?fbclid=IwAR1P5U6uLDMpwumqYgNGv1zwJO_P_nKlJ1cuK_MmF8XQmZznKhx9-s_W0NE

If you plan to take your pet with you during this trip across the open sea, this is what you need to know

By Adrian Lopez

Los Mochis, Sinaloa.- There are still days left until the end of the summer holidays , and if you have time to travel and enjoy these moments of rest, one option is to visit La Paz on the California Star ship from Baja Ferries and venture to the sea of Cortés from the port of Topolobampo, Sinaloa .

The adult ticket has a cost that goes from 1,460 pesos to 2,200 pesos .

The rate for children from 3 to 11 years of age is from 730 to 1,100 pesos. And for the elderly, presenting INAPAM , the ticket costs from 1,410 to 2,150 pesos.

In the case of the cabins, the one with 2 single beds with TV, DVD, full bathroom and window has a cost of 2 thousand 80 pesos, and the cabin with 4 bunk beds, full bathroom and window also has a cost of 2 thousand 80 pesos.

In order to board this ship, each passenger must present their original boarding pass as well as an official photo ID (INE, driver's license, passport, military card, professional ID).

The boarding pass will not be valid if it presents deletions, amendments or alterations.

In the case of passengers under 18 years of age, they must present one of the official identifications such as national or international passport, birth certificate or CURP to corroborate their identity.

If the minor is not accompanied by one of his parents, the adult in charge of the latter must present a signed consent letter together with an official identification of the father or mother where they authorize the minor to travel.

For those people who also like to travel with their pets, it is necessary to present the original and a copy of the vaccination certificate (rabies, parvo virus, distemper, are mandatory. It is important to consider applying the rabies vaccine 3 weeks in advance of your trip through the its inoculation period.

As well as original and copy of the health certificate (health status and deworming) issued by a veterinarian with a professional license, where their contact information is stated.

It is also reported that if the pet is in the gestation period or is less than 8 weeks old, it must carry a note or certificate issued by a veterinarian in which the general state of health is evaluated and its transport recommended in another way. For your safety you will not be able to travel.

In addition to your ticket, you must cover a cost of 590 pesos per pet and travel route.

Baja Ferries informs that the ticket is personal and non-transferable and will not be valid if it presents deletions, amendments or alterations.

The company recommends purchasing tickets in advance during peak seasons as demand for the service increases.

In case you have already bought your ticket and lost it, you can go to the point of sale at least 4 hours before the scheduled boarding time with your official identification. The sales staff will proceed to register the loss of the issued ticket in the system and will provide you with the necessary elements so that you can make your trip.

The reissuance of the ticket has an additional cost of 180 pesos and will not be refundable in case of locating the previously lost ticket.

Tickets are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.

So if for any reason you cannot travel on the date indicated on your ticket, go to any of the points of sale or contact us to reschedule your trip at least 48 hours in advance.

And in case of requiring a change of route, this will have a cost of 180 pesos per ticket reissue. If the ticket is of a higher price, you must cover the difference.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:10 am

baja ferries info and TIP info Topo_f10

dean

Back to top Go down

baja ferries info and TIP info Empty Baja Ferries - Topolobampo/La Paz

Post by wwphil Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Curious whether anyone has taken the Baja Ferry this fall (September to now, January), and what the experience was: e.g., whether reservations are now required, etc. Or anyone knows of someone who has taken the ferry recently. We've been taking the ferry between Topolobampo and La Paz for many years, and always got on with my 34' motorhome just driving into the terminal several hours ahead of time, and buying tickets onsite. But the old California Star has been replaced with the Mexico Star, which appears to have less capacity, and perhaps fewer staterooms.

wwphil

Back to top Go down

baja ferries info and TIP info Empty tmc

Post by dean Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:05 pm

r tmc ring 612 123 9226 ask....

this ferry is 3 times a week non peak and for LP top 6 days a week peak and no rooms, this is good of you have a pet that you want to stay in your vehicle with.

https://ferrytmc.com/

from facebook 2021
We took TMC from La Paz to Mazatlán last week. All good. They sail Mon, Wed, Fri. We have 2 dogs, so slept in our RV/van and could walk the dogs on the deck. They don’t have cabins, and most travelers were semi truck drivers. We thought it was perfect.
2 people and 1 sprinter van was approx 7700 pesos. We were pretty loaded down. If you go to their website, they have the prices listed, based on vehicle type/length.

10/2021
baja ferries info and TIP info Screen31

Last edited by dean on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:24 pm

https://web.facebook.com/bajaferriesoficial/

facebook page for baja ferries

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:54 pm

the tmz ferry cargo dogs allowed in your vehicle

Check this episode on youtube. They took their (foster)dog on the ferry. I THINK the episode mentioned a bit on what they had to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9p68bLPlk&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9p68bLPlk&t=2s&fbclid=IwAR1tDf6PYLDCHwrYKEBkgOc45ouBH5CCa5vwsrvHVHrsSdf3AGu4ELPGPcs

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:16 pm

https://bajaferries.com.mx/acerca-de-nosotros
looks like as of September 15 baja ferries will have a new ship and will be going to Mazalan and back 6 days a week and it appears topo to LaPaz is going 6 days a week again. So their ship work is completed. No idea what they were doing to it.

dean

Back to top Go down

baja ferries info and TIP info Empty Taking the TMC Ferry from La Paz

Post by dean Mon May 20, 2019 6:10 am

https://longlosttravelers.com/blog/2019/1/5/crossing-the-gulf-of-california?fbclid=IwAR1dPRW5KB4z-zHP1TCqVN7qmTj44iBPL6C8q3oiSGqOPnynJd_3E6pHlG0

We were house sitting a beautiful place in San Jose del Cabo and the time had come to leave. We packed up and were ready to go to catch a ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan. This would be our first time taking the ferry and we had many questions about the process.

There are two ferry companies, Baja Ferries and TMC. We are traveling with our dog Lou and heard you have to quarentine your dog for the whole 15 HOUR TRIP. This is NOT the case with TMC. Baja Ferries makes you quarentine them in your own dog crate.

We obviously went with TMC.

The ferries are located in Pichilingue past La Paz, near the Balandra Beach. (Go to that beach, it’s amazing.) We arrived around 3:00 the TMC Ferry departs at 6:00 every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We arrived with plenty of time to spare. We were there Wednesday, Jan 2nd with no line or anything.

The process is easy. We already got our 6 month car permit when we crossed the border in Tecate. If you do not have it, there is a place at the ferries to get it. I recommend at the border when you get your tourist card.

A truck going on the ferry. They pull forward and back in the bottom lot.
A truck going on the ferry. They pull forward and back in the bottom lot.

When you arrive you go through a gate, then go to your right. You’ll be waved through for an inspection of your vehicle and proof that you have your vehicle permit. Once through, continue straight to the workers in the red vests. They will get your info on the car, your name, etc., then measure your vehicle. They record all of the info on a slip of paper, hand it back to you and then you park your car near the small TMC building on the right. Take your slip in the TMC building and pay the fee. You’ll get your ticket for the ferry, dinner and breakfast meal tickets and all kinds of receipts. We waited for all the trucks to load up, then it was the tourists’ vehicles turn. We drove to the top of the ferry, did a 180 and parked.

COSTS & RESERVATIONS

We did not need a reservation, but it’s not a bad idea. Below are phone numbers and e mail addresses to contact for reservsations or other questions. Costs for vehicles and passengers is on the right.

We have a 20 foot length van. It’s 9 feet tall, but, the height does not matter because you are going to be traveling on the top deck. So the costs for the vehicles comes down to the length.

Our van is right at 6 meters, 1 driver, 1 passenger, 1 good dog (free). So, Tourist vehicle: with driver $3600 pesos + Passenger $1197 pesos = $4797 pesos. ($250 usd roughly) Not too bad considering gas prices and time to drive all the way around.

TMC allows dogs up above the main parking. I do not recommend dogs up that high. The steps are very steep and on the outside of the boat. We were allowed to stay in our camper van with our dog, Lou. The wind was high as well as the waves! Going to sleep at first was unsettling, but, we got used to it. There is a cabin on the main deck if you feel sea sick or you would like to hang out, not in your vehicle. I did not see any beds, but a few bathrooms. Be careful not to go in to the living quarters of the crew. Signs are posted, but not everywhere. Bring a good jacket or sweatshirt, out at sea can be cold!

Enjoy the pictures below and please ask us any questions!

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Brian Sullivan In your car inside the gates.
Like · Reply · 1 · 9 hrs
Remove
Jill Johnson
Jill Johnson We have camped twice in our van inside the gates after arriving very late.
Like · Reply · 7 hrs
Remove
Dean DeVolpi

Write a reply...
Choose File
Danielle Gee
Danielle Gee Alfredo Rendon Ibarra Blanca Sanchez Camacho
Like · Reply · 8 hrs
Remove
Roberto Dewet
Roberto Dewet You should drive to Los Mochis and sleep there, from friday to sunday there will likely be an alcohol check point so it best not to have a beer in the ferry, you can search in kayak.com for hotels but Fiesta Inn is the newest one, Best Western is a good hotel, Plaza Inn or City Express are good options for a cheaper fare
Like · Reply · 8 hrs
Remove
Chas Walter
Chas Walter go see el fuerte!
Go see the fort!
Automatically Translated
Like · Reply · 8 hrs
Remove
Bo Radyk
Bo Radyk We stayed at Hotel Marina (www.hotelmarinatopolobampo.com.mx). It's certainly nothing fancy, but it's clean and about a 5-minute drive from the ferry.
Like · Reply · 5 hrs
Remove
Ozzy Laventana Elsargento
Ozzy Laventana Elsargento Santa Anita hotel in los Mochis👍
See Translation

Hotel Santa Anita
4.3 ★ · $$ · Performance & Event Venue
81254 Los Mochis, Sinaloa
Like · Reply · 1 · 14 mins++

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hotel-Santa-Anita/149379264302

http://www.hotelmarinatopolobampo.com.mx/

dean

Back to top Go down

baja ferries info and TIP info Empty TMC ferrys"

Post by dean Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:37 pm

TMC ferrys"

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:02 pm

• re pets on Baja Ferries: from this website: http://bajaferries.blogspot.mx/

"Pets: the first pet is free. The second costs 105 Pesos each way. They do have a pet area now. You take your pet from the car and car deck, or if a walk on passenger - take to the reception area on the 5th deck. There is an elevator from the 3rd floor car deck (where walk on passengers arrive) to the 5th deck reception. From reception someone will guide you down the hall, through the salon and out on to the back deck. You go through a locked gate, down a flight and 1/2 of steep stairs, hang a short left. You are now back down on the 4th deck. There is a big open door, with 4 huge plastic installed, permanent crates with stainless steel bar doors. You can leave water with the pet in the crate, but no food. The door is left open all the time, so there is fresh air. At the end of the trip, do the same in reverse."

LPG wrote:

• I agree that the ferry to Topo is the easiest way to go. Here's my
      experience the winter before last.

My wife and I drove our Toyota T100 pickup down the peninsula from
      California. I was freaked out by the road and decided to go back via the
      mainland. My home made camper is rather small and I was charged for a
      commercial pickup ticket, considerably cheaper than an RV ticket, but more
      than a passenger car. The cost for the two of us, the cabin (we took the
      Saturday overnight passage), and the truck came to about $400, not
      terrible, but a lot more than just driving up Rt 1.

A few days before the trip we drove over to a downtown office in La Paz to
      consult about the whole process, especially to find out whether our truck
      would qualify for the cheaper price. I forget just where it is, perhaps on
      5 Febrero, about 10 blocks inland. We spoke with an official who came
      outside to look at our rig, gave us the good news on the price, providing
      us with the name of an official we could speak with out a Pichilingue if
      we had any problems.

Everything went well getting on the boat, except that I was forced to
      drive backwards up the ramp into the ship and to my assigned spot, with
      only a helper with a flashlight walking next to me, which was a bit
      disconcerting but worked out OK. Only the driver was allowed to board with
      the vehicle, so my wife had to board separately with the foot passengers.
      And earlier, while waiting in line in the truck we were unexpectedly
      nicked for an extra 150 pesos or so at some kind of inspection station.

The ship is a nice Italian made ferry, the cabin was small but modern, and
      the bunks were comfortable. The crossing was a bit rough, and my wife felt
      a little seasick. She passed on the cafeteria dinner, included in the
      ticket price, but I enjoyed it.

As I recall, although it was January, it was reasonably light by the time
      we drove off at Topolobampo. The road by a pleasant 25 km or so double
      lane, and we had no difficulty connecting with Rt 15. We stayed overnight
      at an RV park in San Carlos and crossed the border the next day at Nogales
      and started working our way back to California. Be sure to stop to get
      your TIP permit deposit back. The won't be much in the way of signs, and
      we first parked alongside the highway and crossed to the other side on
      foot to figure out just what to do. I'm vague on just what happened next,
      whether we drove the car around or that they didn't actually have to
      inspect the vehicle. But everything proceeded without problem. We had made
      the deposit by credit card, so we were told that our card would be
      credited within a few day, and it was.

We didn't drive through downtown Nogales, but took a bypass to the left.
      Perhaps you can find more information about that. I hadn't planned for it,
      just saw a sign and took it, and it turned out well.

Postscript: Although we found Rt 1 unnerving, we're thinking about making
      the drive again! We just got new shocks on the truck and realized that
      some of my fears on the narrow, no shouldered road may have been due to
      the poor handling quality of bad shock absorbers. Although taking the
      ferry to the mainland was a big relief for me, it did add to the expense,
      and, because we needed to get to California, was a bit of a detour.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:30 am

present schedule
http://www.bajaferries.com.mx/ 

baja ferries info and TIP info Bajafe12

baja ferries info and TIP info Bajafe13

Last edited by dean on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:40 am

LPG wrote: /Las Mochis​.
 From Las Mochis you can then drive north to the Nogales border crossing (10-12 hrs). Or you can make a stop over at San Carlos  which will leave you about a 5 hour drive to Nogales the next day. From Nogales you are only 70 mi south of Tucson AZ . If you take a Saturday ferry, which is what we did this June, you will arrive very early in the morning (approx. 4:30 AM). In December this would require several hours of driving in the dark if you  drove directly north from the ferry landing. Week day ferries I believe have a different schedule for the  landing in Las Mochis.  In either case the company that owns Marina Palmira in La Paz operates a hotel at their marina in Las Mochis. You can stop by the office at their marina in La Paz to inquire about a room if you choose. The road north from the ferry landing in Las Mochis/Topolobampo is a 4 lane toll road Much of this route​ is in good repair and has only light traffic. If you take the weekend overnight ferry ride, we recommend you rent a stateroom for your crossing. The minor additional cost is well worth it. We have not taken the small car ferry from Santa Rosalia to Guaymas but have heard mixed reviews about this route. December is the beginning of northers (strong

seasonal north winds )​ in the Sea of Cortez ) and they blow even harder up near the Santa Rosalia crossing than they do in La Paz. The waves generated by these winter winds can cause significant ferry delays, sometimes on the order of days. If you do take the La Paz to Las Mochis route you will need to buy a TIP (temporary import permit) for your auto at the b​anj​ercito out at Pichi​lingue by the ferry landing. The majority of the TIP fee (a deposit) is returned to you when you surrender your TIP at kilometer post 14south of Nogales as you exit Mexico (actually it's refunded to your credit card account within a day or two of your exit ) . The staffat the Pichilingue banjercito​  speak good english and are extremely helpful when buying your TIP​ . You can purchase your ferry ticket in La Paz Centro.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:32 am

Bus company from Los Mochis to Nogales, MX.  Once across the border many bus companies that can get you to san diego, Fresno, LA, Stocton, Slt Lake, Vegas, Denver

http://www.tufesa.com.mx/home.html

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:10 am

Nogales To La Paz Via Baja Ferries - Driving to Los Barriles via Baja Ferries, got my ticket via the ferry fromTopolobampo to La Paz; myself, the vehicle, the two dogs, the cabin came to $221.58, your ticket on Baja Ferries gives you a complimentary hot meal. Looking to caravan from Tucson to Topo, Sylvia
bwo

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:30 am

bpe

Ferry Boat Info: I have been trying to get a hold of Baja Ferries main office in La Paz for nearly two weeks. And it gets to the recording of Baja Ferries and some lady says “Ventas” which means sales press 1. So, I do that and it goes virtually nowhere. I have called nearly daily for two weeks with the same results. It was really frustrating, but I got to the bottom of it and the correct information is as follows.

Today, I decided to call their other office in Los Mochis, directly. And there the girl told me that the extension for Sales/Ventas at the main Baja Ferries office in La Paz is 1401, 1402, or 1403. So, if anyone is trying to get a hold of Baja Ferries and is frustrated from not being able to reach them the correct phone number is: from Mexico you would dial: 01-612-123-6600, and when the recording prompts to you dial ‘1’, you need disregard that and dial 1401 or 1402 or 1403. Or you could try their toll free number of: 01-800-337-7437, and when it prompts you to dial ‘1’ for sales/ventas, you need to dial 1401, 1402, or 1403.

Direct dial from the states, the toll free number does not work outside of Mexico, so you need to dial direct: 011-52-612-123-6600, and follow the prompts as directed above, 1401, 1402, or 1403, and you will reach the sales/ventas office for the Baja Ferries main office. The main office in La Paz does have English speaking personnel, you just need to ask and someone who speaks English will help you.

The main office in La Paz is their ONLY Baja Ferries office that accepts credit cards. All the other offices only accept ‘cash’. No credit cards whatsoever, not even Mexican credit cards. So, if you intend on paying with a credit card you are going to have to get a hold of Baja Ferries main office in La Paz. So, simple if they would just put the correct extensions in their recordings! Whew! Hopes this helps anyone trying to reach main office of Baja Ferries in La Paz.

dean

Back to top Go down

baja ferries info and TIP info Empty another ferry company

Post by dean Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:40 am

another ferry company, but very dirty ferry if I remember ...

http://www.ferrytmc.com/

Last edited by dean on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

baja ferries info and TIP info Empty hotels in Los Mochos

Post by dean Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:53 pm

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=59556&page=1#pid824366

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:48 pm

I find the truck crossing route I outline really simple.

LPG
BTW, I don't know your route to Nogales but I strongly recommend using
Sonoyta which is MX 2 that joins MX 15 at Santa Ana. Peaceful, quiet,
lightly traveled crossing, excellent road, brand new processing facility for
"importing" vehicles just south of Caborca. I used Nogales for years until
I became aware of the small but superior Sonoyta crossing. Sonoyta is
between Yuma and Nogales. I take 85 south out of Gila Bend, layover in Ajo
AZ, cross first thing in the morning for a San Carlos layover. I don't see
myself ever using Nogales again, especially northbound.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:07 am

lpg
We, my wife & I, have also used the highway from Nogales to Maztlan and Puerto Vallarte as well as taking the ferry from La Paz to Topolobampo when we drove all the way down to Cabo from Rosarito. WE only travel in daytime and we get an early start when crossing Nogales. We cross Nogales at 7am and drive straight through only stopping for tolls, gas and we have sodas,water and sandwiches in our ice chest so we do not really stop to eat along the way. We get into Los Mochis at 4:40pm and we stay at the City Express which you can find online and cost about $60 dollars with breakfast in the morning.

They also have a Best Western, cost $109 dollars with AAA you get it a little cheaper, in the center of downtown by the Big Church directly across the street is the Big Park that they have all kinds of entertainment in on Fridays,Saturdays and Sundays. Lots of different places to eat around this hotel also. This hotel will let you leave your car there while you go on the Copper Canyon train tour just make arrangements ahead of time. Both hotels have security and have never in the past 9 years of traveling down there had anything happen to my truck or jeep.

Note, at the City Express Hotel there is a Chilis and a Casino next door along with a small 7-11 type store and coffee shops across the street. Get a map online from ontheroadin.com as it shows all the tolls, military checks, agricultural inspections, federal police stops, Walmarts, Home Depots and where Premex stations are and discriptions of each town before you get into them. This map will prevent you from getting lost and prevent any agruements over somebody not telling somebody where to turn correctly. Note that a lot of bigger towns the toll road system takes you through them and this map will get you through them so easy as they tell you on your next turn their will be a McDonalds at the lights and which lane to stay in while turning in these intersections. Just a great map to use and costs under $15 dollars but so worth it, if you travel get this map they have them for all over Mexico and Baja. It will also tell you points of interest
if you want to stop and look. I have used this map the last 9 years and even get the updated versions every two years just to be safe,LOL.

You can also check out the Baja Ferries online before you get down to Topolobampo to catch it across to La Paz. Check out the Marina Hotel in La Paz which will cost about $65 dollars with two queen beds and has cafe,bar and other cafes and lounges around the marina with many big yatchs to look at while enjoying your coffee or cold one at the tables looking out at the marina. If you go into town it is about a mile and cost about $7 dollars for the taxi for two. Many nice restruants all along the Malecon in La Paz. Just love this town so easy to enjoy. Take Care & Travel Safe------"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

dean

Back to top Go down

baja ferries info and TIP info Empty this road is so nice and safe....

Post by dean Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:29 am

driving south or north from Nogales topolombompo

have done the ferry many times. what they can expect is NOT the baja. IE not remote and a divided 4 lane with not one single mountain and not one single Tope, and not one single cow, and not one single sign saying Pelegroso. Hotels all over, services all over, and if you break down not being stranded ever. It is 500 miles from point to point. NOOO stress....

it is exactly the same milage this way from LA to LaPaz as taking the baja road. It is just a bit more expensive because you have to pay for the ferry, but what is the lack of stress worth? If you have the money take the ferry always...

I have the important details on the below site

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:18 am

Courtesy of the www.bajawesternonion.com - On the Pacific side

Ferry Vehicle Permit Info - My husband is in the process of getting his imagrado card, he has had his FM2 for 5 yrs, we went to La Paz to get our vehicle permit to go to mainland Mexico, the lady at the ferry office would not give him the permit, because he is in imagrado status. Once you are applying for imagrado or have your imagrado card, (you are now a Mexican resident) by law your vehicle is suppose to be imported. As his wife I have my FM2 and was able to get the vehicle permit as long as your name is on the vehicle registration. March 18 2010 - Stan , Baja California Sur

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:44 am

from BWO

Re: Baja Ferry - Temp Sticker - If going to Topolobampo from La Paz it is true you will need the windshield sticker." However, if you have a FM-3 or 2 the sticker will never expire as longer as you keep your "FM" current. Just keep a copy of the current year's "FM" in your glove compartment. This is what we were told by the officials when we bought our sticker and also from an American friend of ours that lives and works in Puebla, Mexico. He has kept his Texas license plates and makes sure he keeps them current too. - Karen S

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 am

I recommend having a GPS, at guaymas and Hermosillo it is not clear if you are trying to make time.  If not in a rush well these are nice cities to be lost in.    But just remember when heading south as you hit these cities just look for the roads and major signs to the left to bypass the city.   with that you will not need a GPS.  

peak time for Ferry when you may have to wait a day from topo side is   November- Dec.   I have never had to wait another day.   But have seen a few that arrived after me at about 9pm have to wait another day.    I generally arrive by 6pm and as late as 9pm and have been on the ferry without reservations every time..  

there are very low cost hotels 5 miles from the ferry terminal about USD$20.00 to $30.00  and los mochis is just 15 minutes back with many options and there is a nice hotel as mentioned in previous post right in topo.    One trip on my motorcyle the topo Marina hotel was allowing me to keep my motorcycle in my room, I told them it is not nessary and just outside of my room was more than fine.   Very nice people... and a short walk up the hill from there (reminds me of a greek island hill, there are some bars and great resturaunts...   very inenpensive..   great seafood of cource.  

I have crossed the border at 6 am and make it to topo by 5 or 6 without rushing.     There are reasonable hotels in Hermosillo and Gymas for about $30.00 to $40.00 and all the way down in the little towns similar.

It is almost exactly 500 miles from border to topo.   Also you will see some strange signs that mean this is a no-hassle zone for tourists.   The word hassle and then the universal sign red circle with red cross across it.     IE police can not pull you over for reasonable things on the major highway.     But be careful in los mochos and Topolobampo.   Specially topo.    The last mile is a major ticket trap of driving while gringo.     Do not do the speed of the traffic do the speed limit of crawling the last 1-2 miles.    Specially when it is close to 6pm.  

this is very important to do:  
Also I prefer the truck crossing while entering mexico at Nogales (or entering the usa, actually either direction; it is a toll road on the Mexico side and well worth it).    It gets you around the 20 traffic lights in Mexico and nasty traffic.   The truck crossing is about one or two exists before the border on the USA side take 189 west.

http://maps.google.com.mx/maps?q=nogales+google+map&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x86d14eb89463e89b:0xc72dcada39d349d5,Nogales,+SON&gl=mx&ei=uwF-Tr32OfSpsAK4vuSeAg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q8gEwAA

http://binged.it/14NiSkP
 here is the general route
baja ferries info and TIP info Nogale10
here is closer in
baja ferries info and TIP info Nogale11
from both directions because this is also a truck crossing pass all the semis if lined up, it is a different crossing once you get to the front.  this is a toll road on the mexico side but so worth the extra money.  
baja ferries info and TIP info Nogale10

exit to go to mariposa 189 south  as you cross it is the grron on the bing map 15D but toll/libramiento to the west side of town...

also very important....  If the trucks are backed up either direction (north or south) just pass them as there is a separate car crossing lane up ahead so  will not upset the trucks.

In mexico this will put you on 15D the toll road.    this saves so much time....     and much safer than going in bumper to bumper traffic light galore  traffic...  

going south after 10 or so miles there will be a place to get your visa.    and car sticker should you want one.     a sticker is not required on a car to come to baja.    but to leave baja a sticker is required and can be purchased in Pichilingue

and here is about 7-10 miles in where you can get your visa heading south and if going north to remove your TIP vehicle sticker.
baja ferries info and TIP info Nogale11

Last edited by dean on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:15 am; edited 5 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:09 pm

from baja pony express

http://groups.google.com/group/bajaponyexpress3/web/382-7-20-08?hl=en

BAJA FERRY TO AND FROM THE MAINLAND

Taking the Baja Ferry from the mainland to La Paz is pretty safe, and cuts off the whole of northern Baja. It is roughly a 500 mile ride from Nogales to the ferry. There is certain documentation that you need to prepare to take to the ferry from Topolobampo to La Paz, and La Paz to Topolobampo (this is the port city on the mainland where the ferry takes off from to sail to La Paz). The ferry leaves Topolobampo at about 11PM and arrives La Paz (an overnight cruise) at about 6:00AM, disembarking about 7:00AM in La Paz. The ferry leaves La Paz at 3PM, and arrives at Topolobampo at about 9PM. These hours are all approximates as it sometimes leaves a bit late.

IF you travel with pets, they have to stay in your vehicle, they do not allow pets in the guest quarters on board the ferry. There are accommodations for pets on board that consist of a wired kennel, (different sizes for large/small pets), with water and someone in the area to keep an eye on the animals. You can leave your pets in your vehicles. Once you arrive at either port you MUST tell the attendant who measures your vehicle that you have a pet in your car/truck, and they will put your vehicle on the very next level below the passenger deck with plenty of 'air'. If you do no tell the attendant that you have a pet on board, (they are not mind readers, and they are busy) then there is a good chance that your vehicle with your pet inside could end up in the belly of the ship, where there is lack of air. So, with these thoughts in mind, please for your pets sake and for your peace of mind tell the attendant who measures the trucks/vehicles that you have a pet in your vehicle. Once you leave your pet in your vehicle and you are on the passenger decks of the ship, you cannot return to your vehicle until it is time to disembark.

Documentation for your ride on the ferry and to obtain an auto permit:

I make several copies as each time I go on the ferry its a different amount of copies needed, so to be on the safe side, and to not have to pay for copies there, I make 5 copies (before I get to the border): drivers license, registration, (if you are towing boat, quad, etc, copies of those, too), pet medical certificates, copy of US/Canadian or whatever country you are originally from passport, FM2 or FM3, Insurance from US/Canada or wherever your vehicle is insured, copies of your Mexican Auto Insurance. You will also need the ORIGINALS of all these documents, so put them in a folder and keep them close by when you buy your auto permit to board the ferry. (The auto permits are purchased at that check point which is about 20-25 miles into the country on your right hand side of Mexico 15 as you travel south.

So, be prepared with copies of all this documentation, as you will need it to get your auto permit to get your vehicle and yourself on the ferry. When you cross over the border through Nogales (or wherever you cross into mainland Mexico) heading to La Paz, this documentation is needed at the 20-25 mile check point, which is on your right hand side of Mexico 15, you MUST stop to get your auto permits there, and present all the documents listed above. You also need to have a credit card handy as they do not accept CASH. This is how they ensure that the vehicle you are riding in and obtaining a permit for, and you are driving on the mainland heading to the ferry returns with you when you make your return trip. You cannot board your vehicle on the ferry without an auto permit. For those of you who take the ferry to Baja, but do not return via the ferry, I suggest you call/visit the Baja Ferries office in La Paz, corner of Rubio and Allende (they speak English) and find out what is necessary for you to return the permit if you are NOT returning via the ferry. It changes year to year; I can't keep up with all information/misinformation, and I do return via the ferry, so I just drop it off at the DROP OFF check point that is clearly visible on left side of Mexico 15 on my return back up the mainland towards Nogales.

If your auto permit runs out while you are in Baja and plan on returning via the ferry, then you take your old permit, and get a new one issued in La Paz. at Pichelingue the port of departure, or at the Baja Ferries office. But hold onto that old permit, as you need to return it at aforementioned check point. If you plan on returning to Baja before your current permit expires, then you don't need to get a re issue, again when you head to the ferry via the mainland, but you need to turn in that old one that expired before you do leave the country or you may have trouble making the ferry trip in the future.

Once you are at the port of Topolobampo, on your way to the Baja this is where you inform the attendant who measures your vehicle about your pet inside. Same deal, when you are Pichelingue leaving Baja taking the ferry to go to the mainland arriving at Topolobamp and points north to Nogales or south to Mazatlan. So, this is quite a bit of information, and I would be more than happy to help anyone out who is traveling via the Baja Ferries, but I have covered quite a bit here, so take your time and read it all. You will be able to access this information on BPE Archives for future reference. Some useful phone numbers and the address of Baja Ferries Headquarters in La Paz.

PHONE NUMBER PERTINENT TO THE BAJA FERRIES:

Baja Ferries Office in La Paz, huge building in big blue letters, lots of parking. On corner of Allende and Rubio in La Paz. If you are out of Mexico and you want to call the Baja Ferries Headquarters in La Paz, you are going to have call the local phone number as the toll free numbers are not accessible from the US or out of Mexico. The phone number is: 612-125-7443 or 612-123-1313, the toll free number inside Mexico is: 01-800-122-1414.

Hotel Marina in Topolobampo, the ferry from La Paz arrives quite late sometimes, and maybe you want to secure a room with your pets, and that number is: 52-668-862-0100, you can usually make a reservation at the Hotel Marina without a credit card, you just tell them when you will be arriving, and that you are arriving late on the Baja Ferries and they will save a room. They do have dog rooms, practically no where to walk the dogs, but at least you can have your pets in the motel room with you. I ended up walking my dogs across from the hotel in an empty field.

The phone numbers in Los Mochis, which is the headquarters for Baja Ferries on the mainland, and services the port of Topolobampo is: 52-668-817-3752 or 668-817-3864, and their toll free number for inside Mexico is: 01-800-012-8770. If you take the ferry either way, do yourself a favor and pick up a Baja Ferries little blue flyer, with all these phone numbers I just gave you. I do believe this is the phone number for those who want to travel via the ferry to Mazatlan. Their web site is: www.bajaferries.com

The California Star is the only ferry that I have ever been on going to and from La Paz, if there is another ferry, I believe it goes to Mazatlan, and I don't have any info on that ferry, but there is a phone number on the Baja Ferries flyer, and that number is: (Mazatlan #) 669-985-0470

Another question I have heard asked. Is there any particular day that is better than another to travel on the ferry? I will tell you what I do, and you can make up your own minds according to your schedules of travel. I usually cross the border on a Sunday around 10:00AM, and when I arrive at the check point where I need to get my auto permit, its Sunday, and for whatever reason there are no waiting in lines and I zip through. I am traveling with my dogs, and don't want to leave them in my truck for too long. I drive as far as San Carols about 250 miles into mainland Mexico, and I stay at the Best Western Tetakawi, on the main road into San Carlos, nice, clean, a bit pricey, I deserve the best, and I am not in any hurry, they have a RV park on premises, and nice restaurant, TV, a place to walk the dogs, a swimming pool (I go in December so too cold to swim). San Carlos is beautiful and about half way between Nogales and Topolobampo. The next day, I have a leisurely breakfast at the hotel, and leave about 9:00AM, and I am at the ferry dock about 5ish. Way a head of time. I get my ticket, inform the attendant measuring my truck that I have dogs on board, and I am one of the last to load onto the ferry, I usually park my truck right by one of the door ways to the upstairs entry to the ferry, lots of air for my dogs, crack a window and leave my moon roof cracked open a bit, kiss the dogs on the lips, leave minimal water, put the parking brake on, lock the doors and I am off to my cabin(prepaid when I buy my ticket, for $70, comfortable for two people and your own bathroom) to relax before dinner (cafeteria style hot meal) which is gratis with a purchase of a ticket on the ferry. The great part of parking your vehicle with your dogs on the upper decks of the ferry, is that if you are one of the last to load on board, you are then the first off the ship and down the road to Los Barriles before noon day of arrival.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:01 pm

BAJA FERRIES WORKS WITH TWO ROUTES, HERE IS SOME BASIC INFORMATION ON BOTH OF THEM TO HELP YOU PLAN YOUR TRIP;

ROUTES TOPOLOBAMPO y MAZATLÁN

SCHEDULE:
ROUTE DEPARTURE DAYS DEPARTURE TIME ARRIVALS
TOPOLOBAMPO– LA PAZ DAILY 11:30 PM 6:00 AM
LA PAZ – TOPOLOBAMPO DAILY 03:00 PM 9:00 PM
MAZATLÁN – LA PAZ TUESDAY, THURSDAY, AND FRIDAY 03:00 PM 9:00 AM
LA PAZ – MAZATLÁN MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, AND FRIDAY 03:00 PM 9:00 AM

TICKET PRICES:
TOPOLOBAMPO MAZATLÁN
ADULTS: $750.00 $835.00
CHILDREN (3 A 11 AÑOS) $375.00 $420.00
YOUR TICKETS INCLUDE A MEAL ON BOARD.
PRICES ARE FOR A ONE WAY TRIP A ROUND TRIP WILL BE DOUBLE.
INFANTS UNDER 3 YEARS OLD TRAVEL FREE, BUT THEY STILL NEED A TICKET.

CABIN PRICES:
TOPOLOBAMPO MAZATLÁN
4 BEDS 1 BATH $760.00
2 BEDS 1 BATH $400.00
4 BEDS $250.00
WHEN YOU PAY FOR A CABIN YOU ARE RENTING A ROOM, YOU PAY ONLY ONCE. NOT EACH PERSON.
EACH PERSON HAS TO PAY FOR THEIR TICKET FOR THEIR RIGHT TO TRAVEL. THE CABIN IS NOT SHARE WITH ANYBODY ELSE.

TURIST VEHICLE:
TOPOLOBAMPO MAZATLÁN
$1,040.00 $2,150.00

THESE PRICES ARE FOR ANY AUTOMOBILE, VAN OR PICK UP, THAT DOES NOT EXCEED 5.40 METER LONG, AND THAT DOES NOT TRANSPORT COMERCIAL FREIGHT, IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE DRIVER.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:01 pm

here are some phone numbers and the website is working
http://www.bajaferries.com.mx/

Leaves topo at 11 pm I arrived topo at 9 pm and there was space.

watch out for police looking for gringo tax near topo and los mochis, I was in a bunch of cars and was pulled over both ways. they know what time the ferry arrives and leaves.

Leaves lapaz 3-4 pm.

Topolobampo 668 862-0503
LaPaz 612-123-0508

toll free in mexico is 01-800-718-2796

at Nogales it is easy to pay the duty for items, right when you drive in pull to the right, part and walk back 50 feet through the gate. the inspection button after you pay is the same as the hundreds of people walking through so my guess is lower probability of a secondary inspection.

dean

Back to top Go down

baja ferries info and TIP info Empty baja ferries info and TIP info

Post by admin Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:41 pm

I do not get the TIP when going to topo anymore.   I have never been asked for it and it makes it very difficult to have it removed now that they will not remove them in Pichilingue.   Believe me this caused me some major hassle, because one of the motorcycles I brought down broke.   Plus it is so difficult to get it removed up in the TJ area.   It is better to leave the USA and come back into Mexico is how hard it is to get to the place.      As they said if I did not get it to the border I could never use the ferry again, i tried.  So I no longer was getting the TIP when driving to Topo for the ferry.      There use to be a rule if in Mexico for a few days you did not need a TIP.  Now just would tell them that i will be out of that state in a few hours...  

http://www.banjercito.com.mx/

http://www.mexicobyvehicle.com/banjercito-offices.html

http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/banjercito.php

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/vehicle.php

https://www.mexpro.com/blog/mexico-vehicle-importation-permit-faqs-info

http://www.mexadventure.com/MexicoTravel/Mexico-Vehicle-Permit.cfm

Mexico Vehicle Permit - Temporary Import Permit
You can now apply for your Mexico Vehicle Permit Online:
https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

Vehicle Permit Requirements for Different Regions of Mexico

No vehicle Permit is required if you are only going to Baja or Puerto Penasco!

Border Zone:(within 25 kilometers across the border): No Vehicle Permit required.
Baja Peninsula: No Vehicle Permit required (must obtain a Tourist Card for yourself if you travel south of the Border Zone or stay longer than 72 hours). More Baja info
Sonora Only: The state of Sonora operates a program known as "Sonora Only" for visitors who stay only in the state of Sonora. The "Sonora Only" permit requires less documentation than the standard 'Mainland Mexico Vehicle Permit', and the 'Sonora Only' permit is free. (The need for a credit card is also waived). More Sonora and Rocky Point Info
In addition to normal proof of citizenship documents (needed by all visitors to Mexico's interior) "Sonora Only" visitors need only present a valid drivers license and proof of vehicle ownership or legal possession by the driver. Legal possession can be proven with one or more of the following documents:

• Vehicle registration (in the name of the driver) or original title Lease contract (for leased vehicles)

• Company owned Vehicles must provide some proof of the labor relationship between the Driver and the Company who owns the vehicle.

• Leased or Financed Vehiclesmust provide a 'Letter of Authorization' from the bank or leasing company (if the vehicle is leased or financed). Make sure to contact your bank or leasing company to get your 'Letter of Authorization' a few days before your trip. They will require a copy of your 'Full Coverage' Mexican auto insurance policy before issuing the 'Letter of Authorization'. Adventure Mexican Insurance makes it easy to send your proof of Mexican auto insurance because your policy is created as a PDF file which can be e-mailed directly to your bank/lease company as an e-mail attachment.

Sonora Only Permits are valid for 180 days and may be obtained at the check point at Kilometer 21, south of Nogales on Highway 15. If you are entering from another border crossing, please call baja ferries info and TIP info Call_skype_logo1-800-4-SONORA FREE.Permits must be returned to this check point within the allotted six-month period.
More information on driving in Sonora

Vehicle Permits for Mainland Mexico

If you plan to drive your vehicle south of the 'Border Zone' in mainland Mexico (or outside of Sonora), you are required to obtain a temporary vehicle importation permit. You can obtain this permit at the border. Vehicle Permits can be valid for a maximum of six months, and the vehicle must be 'checked out' (by Mexican authorities) of the country prior to the permit expiration date. Failure to so could result in having the vehicle confiscated.
Even if you never plan to bring the vehicle back into Mexico, you must always 'check out' your vehicle at the Banjercito Vehicle Permit Office before exiting the country.

NEW: The Mexican border officials have recently computerized their vehicle permit tracking system. Many of our customers have confirmed that you no longer need to 'check out' your vehicle at the same border crossing as you entered Mexico. This allows customers to enter Mexico in one location and exit Mexico at a different border crossing. You still need to find the Banjercito office on the Mexican side of the border before you enter the US - so make sure to stop at the Banjercito office before exiting Mexico. The vehicle permit officials will scan your vehicle permit upon exiting Mexico and generate a receipt for closing your vehicle permit.

Make sure to have the following ORIGINAL (or notarized copy) documents with you:

(You will save yourself some time if you also make 2 photo copies of each document prior to crossing the border!)
1: Valid proof of citizenship (passport or birth certificate).
2: Your Tourist Card or Tourist Visa.
3: The valid vehicle registration certificate, or original title that certifies the legal ownership of the vehicle. The person whose name is listed on the registration must be present. (If the registered owner is not going to be present, you must contact the Mexican Consulate in advance for details on how to obtain the permit).
4: If the vehicle is financed, you should contact your finance company to receive a 'Letter of Authorization' allowing you to drive your vehicle into Mexico.
5: If the vehicle is leased or rented, you must provide the lease or rental contract with the driver's name on the contract.
6: A valid Driver's License (a Non-Mexican driver's license).
7: An international credit card, (American Express, Diner's Club, Mastercard or Visa), in the name of the driver of the vehicle. (If you do not have a credit card, you can also make a cash deposit).
Adventure Mexican Insurance provides this general information as a courtesy, but it may not be entirely accurate (Mexican laws may also change). Adventure Mexican Insurance assumes no liability for any reliance on the information provided.
For the most current and accurate information, you should contact a Mexican Consulate. Below are a few links to Mexican Consulate websites:
Los Angeles, CA
2401 W. Sixth St., Los Angeles, CA 90057
Tel: baja ferries info and TIP info Call_skype_logo(213) 351-6800 * Fax: (213) 389-9249
San Diego, CA
1549 India St., San Diego, CA 92101
Tel: baja ferries info and TIP info Call_skype_logo(619) 231-8414 * Fax: (619) 231-4802
San Antonio, TX
127 Navarro St., San Antonio, TX 78205
Tel: baja ferries info and TIP info Call_skype_logo(210) 271-9728 * Fax: (210) 227-7518
Phoenix, AZ
1990 W. Camelback, Suite 110, Phoenix, AX 85015
Tel: baja ferries info and TIP info Call_skype_logo(602) 242-7398 * Fax: 242-2957

Note below not all these offices can remove the TIP permits.  Also if you want locations on the mainland go to this link.     For instance Pichilingue can not remove permits.    I know the Otah one can.    I have a map with pictures  to its location in the other thread.   

http://www.mexicobyvehicle.com/banjercito-offices.html

Banjercito CIITV Offices
BANJERCITO OFFICES  MODULOS  CIITV:

BAJA CALIFORNIA NORTH 
Banjercito Office Otay/Tijuana
Open Monday thru Sunday / Abierto  Lunes a Domingo 08:00 - 00:00 hrs.
Fray Junípero s/n, Garita de Otay,
Tijuana, B.C., C.P. 22430
664-624 -5515  /  664- 683- 6244  

Banjercito Office San Ysidro/Tijuana
Open Monday thru Sunday -  Abierto  Lunes a Domingo  06:00 - 00:00 hrs.
Calle Línea Internacional S/N,
Garita, Puerta México, Col.
Federal, Tijuana, B.C., C. P. 22010
664-682-3182

Banjercito Office Tecate:
Monday Thru Sunday - Lunes a Domingo 08:00 - 20:00 hrs.
Av. Lázaro Cárdenas 201, Esq.
Callejón Madero, Zona Centro,
Tecate, B.C., C.P. 21400
665-521-2536 / 665-521-2536

Banjercito Office  Mexicali:
Pte. Int. Mexicali   Monday Through Sunday  06:00 - 22:00 hrs.
Blvd. Abelardo L. Rodríguez s/n,
Col. Alamitos, Puerto Fronterizo,
Nuevo Mexicali II, B.C., C.P. 21210
686-567- 8504 / 686- 567- 8504

Banjercito Office Puerto De  Ensenada Port of Ensenada:
Lunes a Viernes / Monday Through Friday  08:00 - 17:00 hrs.
Sábado Saturday 10:00 - 14:00 hrs.
Recinto Portuario Blvd. Teniente
Azueta No. 101, Zona Centro, C.P. 22800
Tel: baja ferries info and TIP info Call_skype_logo646-178- 1835 

Baja California Sur / South Baja

Bancercito Office / Modulo Pichilingue
Monday, Wednesday  Friday / Lunes, Miércoles, Viernes   07:00 - 15:00 hrs.
Tuesday and Thursday / Martes y Jueves 07:00 - 18:00 hrs.
Saturday /Sábado  07:00 - 15:00  y  20:30 - 22:30 hrs.
Sunday / Domingo 08:30 - 16:30 hrs.
Interior de la Terminal Marítima de
Pichilingue, La Paz, B.C.S., C.P.23000
Tel: baja ferries info and TIP info Call_skype_logo612 -123 -4457
admin
admin
Admin

http://www.laventana.rocks

Back to top Go down